Posts by Yanick Champoux
After a little more than two weeks of soaking without any issues (yay!), version 1.45_00 of DBD::Oracle has been promoted to general use as v1.46.
And because some contributors have been very busy in the meantime, the next trial version, v1.47_00, is also already on its way to CPAN. This new version offers a few bug fixes (more details in the changelog excerpt below) as well as a rework of the platform-specific troubleshooting guides as POD documents. As usual, it’ll be left around for a minimum of two weeks before it gets promoted to v1.48. Happy upgrade!
Before I dig into the mechanics under the hood of the Hadoop beastie (which is the part, I assume, that is going to be heady as hell), I thought it would be a good idea to play a little bit with some of its applications to give me a feel for the lay of the land.
A couple of years back, I created WWW::Ohloh::API because it seemed to be a fun thing to do. And trust me, it was. But now, since I’m not using that module personally, I thought it would be a good idea to see if anyone would be willing to co-maintain it. Before I could do that, though, I had to deal with two little problems.
What if we added a new field in the META.json — let’s call it x_help_wanted — that would contains all the different types of help a module maintainer could require? Positions like maintainer, co-maintainer, coder, translator, documentation, and tester. We could even have a Dist::Zilla plugin to populate that field for us.
This is going to be a short one, but I think the changes to GitStore are cool enough to deserve a little blog-squeal.
I played with Mongo and looked at Mongoose, which are nifty, but holy schmolee are Mongo databases huge. And then I re-discovered DBIx::NoSQL, which was pretty much smack what I wanted. But I needed a way to easily serialize my objects for it. So I dragged in MooseX::Storage to the mix. And then I had fun with helper classes and roles to make the interfacing between the two systems as smooth and slick as a buttered piglet.
A new trial version of DBD::Oracle has been churned out. This release is mostly about Martin J. Evans going all ninjawesome on minor bug fixes as well as paving the way for an upcoming refactoring/speed boost of ora_verbose. As usual, the new version will be soaked for at least 2 weeks before it will turn into its fit-for-general-consumption v1.46 incarnation. Testers, please give this baby a whirl. The full changelog follows for the curious-minded.
The actual challenge calls for a more generic solution than originally described in the magazine. Because there is no glory in half-solving a problem, I had to come back to it. And because the Great Karmic Balance could probably use it, I thought I could take advantage of the broader scope to produce a solution more geared toward elegance and modernism.
In the last few weeks, I launched quite a few small releases to CPAN. Taken separately, they are hardly worth a full blog entry, but taken together, they’ll make for a lovely N&I entry. So if you have been wondering what I’ve been up recently, read more!
So NoCOUG announced its third international SQL & NoSQL challenge earlier this week. Yay! As I did last year, I tried my hand at forging a Perl solution for the challenge.