Posts Categorized: Technical Blog
Happy Friday everyone! I’m back and can see! The laser surgery was not anywhere near as bad as my mind had made it out to be, and I would recommend it to anyone. The results are worth it. For some reason the heat and x-ray vision have not kicked in yet. Anyways enough about me, let’s look at some news.
One week and a whole lot of snow later, it is time for the 173rd edition of Log Buffer, the weekly review of database blogs. MySQL goes first this week.
According to the official lifecycle calendar, active support for MySQL 5.0 (including regular binary updates) will end on December 31st, 2009. Upgrading to MySQL 5.1 is not difficult, though it requires more steps than just upgrading the packages. There is a link to a post which walks you through the upgrade.I hope this helps folks out, and please feel free to ask any questions. Pythian is available to assist you in the upgrade process, just contact us if you want to engage our help.
One thing I find fascinating in Perl is that I am always seeing new ways to perform the same mundane task. Today I had to output some tabular data, so I thought it would be nice if I alternated colors for each row. Easy enough in Perl—just create a hash with your colours as the value and then the swapping variable as the key, like this…
Here we are again, another Friday. Only it’s actually Thursday for me. I’m writing this early because I am planning to willingly allow someone to shoot lasers into my eyes in an attempt to rid myself of these wretched glasses. Here’s hoping! On to the news so far.
Hello, and welcome to the 171st edition of Log Buffer, the weekly review of database blogs. Let’s get it going this week with . . .
This is a little story of a little bug. This gremlin suddenly appeared in a CGI.PM web-based application I work with. To make a long story short, an email was coming out something like this . . . I discovered that the page was in fact receiving three values for CGT::param(“rep_no”) when user was of type ‘B’, and thus sending that as an array to the send_TXT_email method, and as a result, buggering up the email content. Even more digging I found out the root cause was a web page that was three pages back from the one that was sending the email. Here’s the quick fix.
Once more, the Ottawa Perl Mongers assemble! I’ll be presenting on how I’m implementing AJAX forms in a Catalyst application, using the deadly magic of Mason, Prototype, and FormFu. Pizza will be graciously provided by Pythian. So if you plan on coming, please let me know so that I can be a good little ninja and make the number of slices match the number of attendees.
Good morning and happy Friday to all. Happy Thanksgiving to all of our friends, family, acquaintances, and well-wishers in the US. Enjoy the turkey and the football. As always, there’s not shortage of news stories, though the week seemed a bit slow because of the holiday. Here are some things we thought were interesting this week.
One of our clients has a public web page and they needed to ensure that it is always up and accessible. Pythian already has a monitoring stack that includes website and pages monitoring. I wondered if this could be done from SQL Server using built-in Windows modules to access external web resources. There are various the methods we can use.