Liveblogging: Mentoring, It’s for Everyone!
May 8, 2010 / By Sheeri Cabral
Ways to learn:
Kinetic (doing it)
Everyone learns differently, but most people learn with some combination of all these three.
However, you can also learn by training [that's the truth, I learned a LOT by writing the book, even things I knew, I ended up needing to research more].
Ways to train:
Questioning (Socratic Method)
What is a mentor?
noun: experienced and trusted adviser. It’s not just someone who teaches, it’s someone who advises.
experienced person in a company, college or schools who trains and counsels new employees or students.
verb: to advise or train (someone, esp. a younger colleague).
A mentorship is a safe place to ask questions.
A mentor is a trainer, but a trainer who also is a professional advisor.
Finding a mentor
- you respect/admire
- works with similar technology
- has a compatible personality
- you have a good rapport with
Being a mentor
- Teach technical skills
- Provide advanced technical/design guidance
- Model and teach professional skills
- Be interested and invested in the [student's] career
Leave a Reply