The stars have aligned
There’s a rare event happening next week: All three of Pythian’s Oracle Apps tech leads will be in the same place. Vasu Balla, Maris Elsins, and recently-minted Oracle Ace Director Yury Velikanov will all be at Collab 13 this year. Since we’re a globally distributed, round-the-clock team, this is not something that can happen very often; in fact, Yury and Vasu will be meeting face-to-face for the first time.
This isn’t a team-building exercise, though. Our 3 biggest Apps brains have 5 presentations for the community this year, from large-scale systems (EBS on 11gR2 clusters and ODA) to nitty-gritty details (Autoconfig and Apps patching) to essential fundamentals (RMAN).
I’ve had an opportunity to review several of the presentations by the Pythian EBS teams, so I can assure you that you’re in for a treat.
Maris and Yury are doing a presentation on complex configurations on the database side of Oracle E-Business Suite:
- Session #11900 – Oracle Cluster 11GR2 with Oracle Applications (Sunday, April 7, 1:15 pm – 2:15 pm ): Everything you need to know about setting up EBS to work properly with SCAN in an 11gR2 database cluster, and some of the challenges of managing concurrent processing in that environment
- Session #11792 – Running E-Business Suite Database on Oracle Database Appliance (Monday, April 8 9:45 am – 10:45 am): Engineered systems like ODA make a lot of things super-simple, but if you’re an Apps DBA, you’re probably used to the idea that EBS always needs a little “something special.” Get all of those “special” details in this talk!
Yury also has a presentation for our Core DBA compatriots, and it’s good stuff for Apps DBAs as well:
- Session #362 – You most probably don’t need RMAN catalog database (Wednesday, April 10 9:30 am – 10:30 am ): Is a catalog database critical to an effective use of RMAN? Can you get away without using one? Challenge your assumptions.
Vasu will be talking about some of the nuts and bolts of the E-Business Suite tech stack:
- Session #12112 – Anatomy of Autoconfig in Oracle E-Business Suite (Wednesday, April 10 11:00 am – 12:00 pm): Get the whole story on what Autonconfig does, and learn how to set it up properly, so you never again have to utter the dreaded phrase “Yeah, the last Autoconfig run broke XYZ.”
- Session #12125 – Staged Patching Approach in Oracle E-Business Suite (Thursday, April 11 12:15 pm – 1:15 pm): Save some of your energy for the last day of the conference because Vasu has good stuff about the benefits of staged patching, and a sneak peek at what’s coming in release 12.2!
Other ways to connect
Since you’re reading this blog, you already know we have a pretty strong commitment to social media in these parts. If you miss them at their presentations, the best way to find Maris, Yury (“Mr. Social Media”), and Vasu is on Twitter: @MarisElsins, @yvelik, and @vasuballa. We’ll have several meetups arranged via Twitter throughout the conference. Also, consider stopping by Pythian’s booth (#606) to meet some of our other knowledgeable and entertaining colleagues! We look forward to the opportunity of meeting our clients, colleagues, and friends (new and old). See you at the show!
BTW, this post is supposed to be about our rockstar presenters, but just a note: I’ll be there too. Find me (John) at @jpiwowar. :)
Share this article
Leave a Reply