MySQL plug-in 1.1 for Oracle 10g Grid Control
Jun 16, 2008 / By Alex Gorbachev
It’s been a while since the MySQL Management Plug-in 0.42 was released. Since then, I quietly updated it to version 1.0. The changes were very few; the biggest news was that the plug-in was certified by Oracle and added to OTN Oracle 10g Grid Control Extensions Exchange (see at the bottom).
I think the next version is due, as a few people have come back to me with some issues. The biggest was compatibility with Windows. Since I used the command line MySQL client, *nix and Windows shell incompatibilities were a major headache to solve, and I still couldn’t make it work reliably. I wanted to use DBI and DBD:MySQL, but it required installing and compiling Perl packages, which makes the deployment process very inconvenient.
Finally, I found a solution — Net::MySQL is a native Perl implementation of the MySQL client. I had to fix some bugs and add a few improvements to it, and I hope to get the author to re-introduce them back to the new CPAN distribution. Net::MySQL is dependent on IO::Socket, which is a core module that comes with the standard Perl distributed with the Oracle Management Agent.
Version 1.1 turned out to be a major rewrite for the Perl collection scripts and the net result is that compatibility across platforms is greatly improved. I have successfully tested the new version on Linux and Windows Agent hosts.
So what’s new in version 1.1 compared to 0.42?
- certified by Oracle; see OTN Extensions Exchange
- no MySQL client is required on Agent hosts. The Perl Net::MySQL package is distributed with the plug-in
- fully compatible with Windows
- MySQL client path property removed
- added support for local connection using Unix sockets
- added connection error message when target is down — can be seen in Availability History
- commands statistics skips collection for never-executed commands so less data is collected; thus, I could safely increased default collection frequency; command names are formated better
- changed default collection frequency for network, joins and sort statistics
- % command executions are collected right now — the “Questions” statistic didn’t match the total of all Com_ statistics.
- metric “Processes by Action” now excludes the plug-in’s own connection which was always adding one to “Query”
- a few minor typos fixed
Downloads, requirements, and installation instructions — as well as the datasheet — are available at the MySQL Plug-in for Oracle Grid Control home page.
You can also go directly to the plug-in download page by clicking here:
45 Responses to “MySQL plug-in 1.1 for Oracle 10g Grid Control”
Leave a Reply