On the Way to UKOUG 2006 – Delayed but Still Coming
Nov 12, 2006 / By Alex Gorbachev
I feel it’s going to be good fun – I’m only on my way to UKOUG 2006 but it’s already an adventure. I had the flight Ottawa -> London booked over Washington where I should have had 2 hours for connection. Registration went fine almost until the very end (had to give away my water though and Babette was finishing her coffee on the way) but at the US customs I’ve got the problem. Apparently, there is a new rule for transit passengers – they suspended permission for all international connections without a transit visa. It used to be so that transit passengers stay in the terminal and no need for any kind of visa. Not anymore and it’s valid “until further notice” as stated in their systems.
Being stubborn enough (the common quality here at Pythian ;-) and I’m not going to skip the fun just because of some stupid immigration rules so… I had to go back to the check-in counter, get my baggage and re-book my ticket to avoid a stopover in the States. They re-booked me on the direct flight Ottawa-London and that cost me only $200 after some negotiations (originally $2000+) and 2 hours of my time early in the morning. Unfortunately, I’ve got split up with Babette and I hope she is fine on her own there.
Babette, if you read this post by any chance, I should be in the Hotel on Monday at about 11:00. I also left you a message at the receptions desk.
Back to the UKOUG – I have three sessions there. These are first three right on Tuesday after the Opening Technical Keynote by Tom Kyte:
- Extending Oracle 10g Grid Control – New Metrics, Targets and Plugins – 11:00-12:00, Hall 6
- Refreshing Test Databases Using Oracle Transportable Tablespaces and Veritas Storage Checkpoints – 12:10-12:55, Hall 6. Here is the surprise – I’ll show how to do the same with ZFS. I’m really excited about that.
- Oracle 10g Change Tracking Inside Out – 13:50-14:00, Hall 9. Consider this if you want to get down to X$ tables and tracing.
Babette has two presentations the same day:
- Moving from Oracle Names to Oracle Internet Directory – 11:00-12:00, Hall 11b
- Oracle 10g Data Pump 101 – 17:50-18:35, Hall 5
See you there! I’m off to my flight. Again…
5 comments on “On the Way to UKOUG 2006 – Delayed but Still Coming”
Pingback: Pythian Group Blog » Blog Archive » ORADEBUG TRACE UKOUG_EVENING STATE DUMP, DAY 1