Say theres a website you would like to tweet directly from. Not via a Twitter client, not using a service like Yoolink, not through a Firefox plugin. No, you really want to be able to have a honest to God “Tweet this” input field on the website itself. It’s a strange requirement, for sure, but it’s a mission that I’d been given a few days ago. Here’s how I did it.
Never the one to turn my back to shameless self-promotion, I mentioned my blog entry and mini-project in the comment section. As luck would have it, my views were very much in line with what the metacpan cabal was envisioning, and I was told that, if I was willing, I was welcome to give it a try. As a subsequent update from Olaf hinted at, that’s an offer I couldn’t let pass. So, in the last two months, I’ve been a busy bee.
Tommy Stanton from the Los Angeles Perl Mongers let me know that he gave a presentation on Galuga in January (slides are available here). He also tinkered with the mozzarella-toned beast, and his patches should soon percolate to the pallid cetacean’s GitHub lair.
Most of the time, I hack applications together because I have an itch that badly needs scratching. But, sometimes, I also build up apps for the sake of trying out and experimenting with new technologies. The process I’m following for those latter apps is what I call Awesome Driven Development, or A.D.D. for short. Here’s how it’s done.
Married Life, a poem
In this blog post, I’ll talk about key items that we sometimes tend to ignore when creating a disaster recovery strategy – the lion, the “switch” and the wardrobe
For each of my machines I have one backup directory per week of the year (01, 02, 03, etc) and — and this is the über-cool part of it — rsync’s ‘–link-dest’ is used to hard-link files that didn’t change since the previous backup run. This means that I can have weekly snapshots of all my machines at the fraction of the space a full backup would take. Very nice. files have a nasty habit to fill up all available disk space. In my case, the 100% mark was hit last week. Obviously, I had to delete stuff. But… which stuff? Here is a way to get a snapshot of the disk usage locally, and in a format that would allow you to navigate and examine it at will.
I installed this on Kubuntu 10.10 x86_64 systems with the newest Oracle 11.2 client. The version of TOra this time around is 2.1.2 which works fine except for one really really frustrating thing, that I will mention at the end to keep you in suspense. I ran through this 3 times on 3 separate systems (VM, work and home) and in all cases I got through it mostly unharmed with only a few humps. So here we go, it’s time to…
Anyone can fall into this scenario. Everyone is carefully taking time to test before applying a couple patches to address an async I/O issue in Oracle to ensure all testing environments are exact, all patching is approved by everyone that would like to review it. No one is willing to pull this trigger and apply the patches until they are absolutely sure they have every SQL statement, every network tweak, every application scenario looked over and over again. Suddenly, the database reaches what every DBA dreads…
App::perlbrew is a tool that simplifies down to triviality the process of making local perl installations. With it, any user can, in the span of a few minutes, have a working perl that is totally independant of whatever the system has. This is a win for you — you’re now in control of your perl, and of your destiny — as well as for the sysadmin, who is now free of the prickly choice between system integrity and users’ happiness. The path to self-sufficient brewing is incredibly easy. First, you have to download and install perlbrew