A couple of days ago I was reading a paper Paxos Made Live – An Engineering Perspective written by Google engineers. It is an interesting reading about implementation of Paxos algorithm for building a fault-tolerant database. But one paragraph made me think I am reading something very familiar…
I’m working on a small story about database consolidation and interested to learn what are success and failures that others are going through. While we have our own experience at Pythian, I find it interesting to learn about what others are going through. If you have enough details, it would be nice to see your feedback along these lines…
Knowing how failible my memory is, I looked for some automated safety net to use with Git. The most obvious would have been to use a push hook, but alas Git has no such thing, and if the latest thread I caught on the topic still hold, one isn’t going to appear anytime soon. Since that venue is (for now) closed, I turned to plan B: crafting a new git command, git-safepush:
Just to make you smile and let you remember all those sweet holidays I would like to congratulate you and wish you MERRY CHRISTMAS! in Oracle style:
I must confess, that game I’m leasurely working on is nothing but a big fat excuse to dabble with fun bits of technology that I don’t get to touch with my usual projects. And in that optic, yesterday I fooled around with logging and internationalization stuff…. Yes, I know. I’m using a game as a pretext to work on logging and I18N. I’m ashamed of myself. But aaanyway, let’s see what I got to discover.
Pod::Manual was born a little bit more than three years ago, and kind of lingered in alpha-land ever since. But now, I had the opportunity to return to the project and do terrible things to it. The code is even more alpha than it was before, and it’s now in a post-hack shamble, but at least it has been moosified and (or so I hope) pushed in the right direction.
Right now, Galuga has a widget that lists my CPAN distributions. But it’s a boring old static affair that is updated manually. Surely in this age of the Web 2.0, I can do better than that. My first instinct that to go straight for my CPAN author page and extract the information off the HTML
Web applications typically have a bunch of static files that almost never change. For all but the simplest apps, it’s usually a good idea to let the browser know that it can cache and reuse those files, so that we can all save a little bit of bandwidth and get things moving a wee bit faster. For that, we have the HTTP Expires header. Have a look.
In the latest development of XML::XSS, we can not only create stylesheets as classes, but I’ve introduced a style keyword that makes the syntax much cleaner. Follow me, I’ll show you.
We recently had a client come to us, and ask us to improve their MySQL monitoring inZabbix. So, we did. The approach we took was to port the MySQL script from the superb mysql-cacti-templates project to work with Zabbix. This works out well, because Zabbix is like cacti and nagios combined, and, what we wound up getting, are some…