Recently, I was upgrading a database from 188.8.131.52 to the current 184.108.40.206 version. The database was using ASM, but I should notify at the beginning that the configuration is for a Stand-Alone Server and not RAC. Basically, the first things to be done for this procedure are part of the following checklist…
A new trial version of DBD::Oracle has been churned out. This release is mostly about Martin J. Evans going all ninjawesome on minor bug fixes as well as paving the way for an upcoming refactoring/speed boost of ora_verbose. As usual, the new version will be soaked for at least 2 weeks before it will turn into its fit-for-general-consumption v1.46 incarnation. Testers, please give this baby a whirl. The full changelog follows for the curious-minded.
We have a few clients already using Enterprise Manager 12c Cloud Control. The interface and navigation have improved a lot from the 11g version in my opinion. However, as with any new release of anything, quite a few bugs still need to be fixed. After working with Oracle on some of these bugs last week, we were asked to apply the Bundle Patch 1 (BP1) to one of our clients’ installation. The first thing that I noticed when I started looking for information about BP1 was the amount of warnings from different people I found in MOS and around the internet.
The Ottawa Oracle User Group (OOUG) was kind enough to invite me to give presentations for a whole morning. The group was ultra engaged and asked a lot of good questions, so my usual 50-minute Big Data presentation ended up taking 100 minutes, and the rest of the content had to be squeezed a bit. I hope everyone had a good time!
So how is the actual “waiting on lock” implemented? How does session B, waiting for a transaction to commit started by session A, knows that the resource is free for use? To find out how it is implemented, I have traced Oracle foreground processes. I tried this on Oracle RDBMS 220.127.116.11 running on Linux. This is a excerpt of system calls being executed during a session waiting for a lock…
This is just a very short blog entry to inform folks that there is an open discussion group over at LinkedIn for SLOB topics of interest.
Update 13-June-2012: It has come to my attention that the numbers from the original source may have been incorrect or improperly released. To avoid confusion and potentially misleading information, the original content of this blog post has been removed.
I was on an Exadata environment with four RAC instances when a fellow DBA created an incident package. It was no big deal, except that part of the adrci packaging procedure was to take a backup of the controlfile and include it in the incident package. Though the package was created successfully, the controlfile never made it.
This posts finalizes a few weeks of work on comparing SLOB and ORION IO testing tools.
In this blog post, I will share the physical IO testing results I got by running SLOB and ORION on the same system and on the same disks. I will use those results as a reference in a few blog posts to come. As of now, I would like to make few points based in the results here.