One of the great joys of Perl and CPAN is how it allows you to stand on the shoulders of giants. By picking the right tools, applications that are not that trivial can be built in a matter of days, if not hours. The goal of today’s little project is to demonstrate that very thing. Grab a helmet and put your mouth-piece on, for this time I aim to do nothing other than blow your mind to awestruck smithereens.
Before I dig into the mechanics under the hood of the Hadoop beastie (which is the part, I assume, that is going to be heady as hell), I thought it would be a good idea to play a little bit with some of its applications to give me a feel for the lay of the land.
A couple of years back, I created WWW::Ohloh::API because it seemed to be a fun thing to do. And trust me, it was. But now, since I’m not using that module personally, I thought it would be a good idea to see if anyone would be willing to co-maintain it. Before I could do that, though, I had to deal with two little problems.
What if we added a new field in the META.json — let’s call it x_help_wanted — that would contains all the different types of help a module maintainer could require? Positions like maintainer, co-maintainer, coder, translator, documentation, and tester. We could even have a Dist::Zilla plugin to populate that field for us.
This is going to be a short one, but I think the changes to GitStore are cool enough to deserve a little blog-squeal.
I played with Mongo and looked at Mongoose, which are nifty, but holy schmolee are Mongo databases huge. And then I re-discovered DBIx::NoSQL, which was pretty much smack what I wanted. But I needed a way to easily serialize my objects for it. So I dragged in MooseX::Storage to the mix. And then I had fun with helper classes and roles to make the interfacing between the two systems as smooth and slick as a buttered piglet.
A new trial version of DBD::Oracle has been churned out. This release is mostly about Martin J. Evans going all ninjawesome on minor bug fixes as well as paving the way for an upcoming refactoring/speed boost of ora_verbose. As usual, the new version will be soaked for at least 2 weeks before it will turn into its fit-for-general-consumption v1.46 incarnation. Testers, please give this baby a whirl. The full changelog follows for the curious-minded.
The actual challenge calls for a more generic solution than originally described in the magazine. Because there is no glory in half-solving a problem, I had to come back to it. And because the Great Karmic Balance could probably use it, I thought I could take advantage of the broader scope to produce a solution more geared toward elegance and modernism.
In the last few weeks, I launched quite a few small releases to CPAN. Taken separately, they are hardly worth a full blog entry, but taken together, they’ll make for a lovely N&I entry. So if you have been wondering what I’ve been up recently, read more!
So NoCOUG announced its third international SQL & NoSQL challenge earlier this week. Yay! As I did last year, I tried my hand at forging a Perl solution for the challenge.