At the December 2010 Boston MySQL User Group meeting a few days ago, Oracle/MySQL sales engineer Bill Papp gave a presentation on ‘An Overview of MySQL Cluster’.
Slides are online at http://technocation.org/files/doc/2010_12MySQLClusterOverview.ppt
The video is on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XLc8OA8UOY.
Here is the description Bill gives of this presentation:
Now, more than ever, databases have to scale linearly to handle high spikes in usage, deliver 24 x 7 continuous availability and low latency. At the same time, many workloads need to maintain the data consistency delivered by transactional integrity.
MySQL Cluster is the industry’s leading real-time, write-scalable transactional database, combining 99.999% availability with the low TCO of open source. With a distributed shared-nothing architecture and no single point of failure, MySQL Cluster can scale linearly to meet the unprecedented demands of next generation web, e-commerce, and telecommunications / network services.
Typical use cases in web services include:
* User profile management for service authentication and authorization
* eCommerce (customer and order data, payment processing, product inventory tracking, etc.)
* Web Session Management
* Social Networks (user profiles, authentication, real-time status updat! es, etc.)
* On-Line Content Delivery (i.e. user data, content catalogs, subscription processing & management)
* Near Real-Time Data Analysis (using Geographic Replication to update MyISAM, InnoDB, etc. tables with real-time transactional updates from MySQL Cluster)
Interested in working with Sheeri? Schedule a tech call.