In this episode we are going to continue talking about the evolution of the DBA career, specifically as it pertains to automation. Today we are under more pressure than ever to automate our tasks. This is driven by cloud-first initiatives and the need to increase development velocity as well as other practices such as Agile and DevOps. Today as DBAs we need to know more languages than ever, we need to know more platforms than ever, we need to do more work, rather, be more productive than ever. So this means we also have to change our approach.
Joining us today we have Derek Downey who is the Practice Advocate at Pythian who will present OpenSource Technologies, we have Warner Chaves, an Internal Principal Consultant at Pythian and Microsoft MVP who will represent SQL Server and we have Bjoern Rost who is an Internal Principal Consultant at Pythian and Oracle ACE Director and a member of the brand new program The Oracle Developer Champion Program representing the Oracle Database.
Key Points From This Episode:
- Derek tells us how he is now able to implement better and more robust tasks in OpenSource.
- How the provisioning in Oracle has changed, and what that means.
- Find out how the landscape is very similar in the Windows world, according to Warner.
- Warner explains how they are required to do more and manage more servers with less time.
- Understand why automation is not for everybody; opinions differ.
- Discover what has been influencing and driving the need to automate.
- Hear how mistakes can be very expensive and the impact that company cultures have.
- Why DBAs will never be totally automated out of their jobs, if they know other disciplines.
- The pitfalls of automation and what things we should not be automating.
- The importance of having fail safes and understanding exactly what you are automating.
- Discover some best automation practices to mitigate risks.
- Understand how to operate on the principle of least privilege.
- Learn why it is important to verify as much as possible through your scripts.
- Find out why Databases are different to Web Servers; mitigation versus data loss.
- Understand how to measure success as a manager of DBA’s.
- The importance of knowing the clear objectives of a team and whether they are well matched.
- Learn how to distinguish hard work from good work.
- Embracing the tools that already exists versus trying to reinvent the wheel.
- Understand more about the trends in automation today.
- And much more!
Guests on this Episode:
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode:
Interested in working with Chris? Schedule a tech call.