Analyzing Open.Canada.Ca datasets with Power BI
Tags: Google Cloud Platform, Big Data, Data Visualization, Technical Track, Bigquery, Advanced Analytics, Google Sheets, Owox, Analyzing Bigquery Via Sheets, Pivot, Ms Excel
My friend Chris Jaja recently posted on LinkedIn about the awesome work his team has been doing with the Open Government Portal at the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat. This is a great initiative and it gave me another excuse to fire up one of my favorite data visualization tools: Microsoft Power BI. Let's check it out! Open.Canada.Ca The Open Government Initiative's goal is to make government more accessible for everyone. This is done by opening up data, information and facilitation communication directly to the government. What is available:
- Open datasets from all sorts of Canadian government organizations.
- Government digital records, information requests and contracts.
- An API to access all this information programmatically.
- A communication portal to engage directly with the government.
- Cost: free account that is more than useful.
- Learning Curve: Power BI is one of the easiest visualization tools to pick up.
- Flexibility: consumes most data formats, includes data transformation and modelling capabilities.