Datascape Episode 57: Building Big Data Platforms in Azure With Luan Moreno
Episode 57 Shownotes
Welcome to another episode of the Datascape Podcast. On today’s show, Big Data expert and Microsoft data platform MVP Luan Moreno tunes in from Brazil.
Luan talks about the start of his career as a DBA, his move into the Big Data ecosystem, and later to Azure. Later, the hosts discuss mitigating customer issues, big data technology functionalities and outlook, platform building, and multicloud architectures.
Tune in to hear their takes on these topics and more.
Key Points From this Episode
- Introduction of today’s topic: Building Big Data platforms in Azure.
- Guest Luan Moreno introduces himself and outlines his early career.
- The hosts briefly touch on Synapse Analytics and its functions.
- Warner briefly describes his experience using Synapse Analytics.
- Luan talks about what goes into choosing the best technology.
- Luan describes the customer information-gathering process during the consulting phase.
- Luan discusses some product differentiators and challenges (Databricks, Spark, Synapse).
- The hosts discuss Databricks’ strengths and challenges
- Warner briefly describes Snowflake’s Snowpark and the product’s intended audience.
- The hosts discuss various features and challenges of Python, Scala, AWS, and Azure.
- Luan shares his recommendations for clients who choose to build their own platform.
- The hosts take a deep dive into Databricks, BigQuery, Synapse, and Snowflake technologies and their differences.
- The hosts outline Serverless Spark technology.
- The hosts discuss the future possibility of non-cloud-specific multicloud environments.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode