Datascape Episode 53: Managing High-Performance IT Teams
Episode 53 Shownotes
Welcome to another episode of Datascape Podcast. In today’s show, guests Shara French, Microsoft Data Platform Team Manager, and Miriam Varvazovsky, Team Manager, discuss managing high-performance IT teams.
Shara and Miriam introduce themselves, their work in technology and their journeys to Pythian. Together, the hosts take on topics such as basic requirements for technical management, setting boundaries, establishing trust, hiring practices, working from home, the gender gap and working in male-dominant fields and personality types, to name a few.
Tune in to find out about these topics and learn more.
Key Points From this Episode
- Introduction of today’s topic: managing high-performance IT teams.
- Warner introduces Shara and Miriam.
- Shara summarizes her experience and path to Pythian.
- Shara shares her managerial style.
- Miriam summarizes some of her path into management.
- Miriam talks about the importance of understanding databases.
- Shara touches on the importance of having an LDC.
- The hosts discuss the importance of communication skills and daily expectations.
- Miriam talks about empowering technical teams and managing different team members.
- Miriam talks about micromanaging and work-life balance.
- Shara describes her management style.
- Miriam and Shara discuss their hiring practices.
- The hosts discuss the impact of multiculturalism on Pythian.
- The hosts touch on long technology careers, the gender gap and the challenge of being female managers.
- Miriam highlights specific scenarios as a female manager in a male-dominant field.
- The hosts discuss personality types.
- The hosts discuss navigating changes in technology.
Links Mentioned in Today’s Episode