Migrating Oracle Workloads to Google Cloud - PostgreSQL on Cloud SQL or GCE
When working with clients on database migration, there are a range of options we help them assess and evaluate. These include:
- Bare Metal Solution (BMS)
- On Cloud SQL
- On GCE (Google Compute Engine)
- Cloud Spanner
PostgreSQL on Cloud SQLIf you’re looking to reduce licensing and maintenance costs while keeping your core application code, you should consider Cloud SQL for PostgreSQL. This fully managed relational database service enables you to set up, maintain, manage and administer PostgreSQL relational databases on Google Cloud. Because Cloud SQL for PostgreSQL provides out-of-the-box high availability, replication, encryption and automatic storage increases, establishing a managed PostgreSQL database could be an appealing solution for organizations looking to deploy their PostgreSQL workloads after migrating from Oracle. Important steps and considerations in a successful Oracle database migration to Cloud SQL for PostgreSQL include:
- Assessment and discovery – feature usage detection, database configuration.
- Success criteria – data validation, performance and application tests.
- Environment setup – schema conversion, deployment to target.
- Data migration – one-time load, real-time, change data capture.
- Migration validation – application QA (quality assurance), database query validation and performance.
- Rollback strategy
- Consolidate vendor support by shifting to Google who can also manage the entire underlying stack.
- Reduce TCO of database deployments.
- Adopt open-source and cloud native database technologies.
- Modernize database architecture.
- Schema conversion.
- Real-time data migration through change data capture (CDC).
- Eliminating vendor lock-in caused by proprietary features.
- Application support.